Sunday, July 14, 2019

Depression

I am a survivor of depression. From elementary to high school I was bullied. I was an unathletic fat kid that never felt accepted by other students. At one school a group of boys planned to follow me home and beat me with belts. My dad miraculously decided to pick me up that day. At another school, a boy put glitter in my hair and laughed. I know many had worse experiences but these things stick in my mind. In college, I could never find my way. I starred in a play, elected to student office, and made top grades. Yet doubt was my constant companion. I changed majors until ran out of my money, my parent's money, and loan money not to mention grants and scholarships. I came out of my fog working at of all places McDonald's. I had a grass cutting business but McDonald's was my first real job. The owners trusted me and gave me encouragement. I made employee of the month and earned it. It was the first time I had not taken any short cuts and got rewarded. I went on to work for almost a decade at a hospital. My confidence really got a boost as got married and had children. Then everything came crashing down. We were in a horrific car wreck. My youngest child almost died, had surgery, and recovery. It took me over a year not to panic on every car ride. I did not drive in the wreck but felt sick every time I drove. When my wife drove I would try to focus on my phone or close my eyes. However after lots of mental exercises, prayer and time this fog also lifted from me.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Grass Cutting.

Grass in the South never seems to stop growing. In the summer months it is a twice a week chore. Dealing with a hundred degree heat, bugs th...